Last Updated on 08/29/2017 by Chris Gampat
Hey analog world, we’ve got some really cool new announcements in the form of the new Lomography Lomo’Instant Square camera. The first to the table was the Fujifilm Instax Square SQ10; which in my opinion is little more than just an Instax Square printer. But this new camera is putting the light directly onto the film plane and not a digital sensor of any sort–unlike the Fujifilm camera. Using a 95mm f10 lens, the Lomography Lomo’Instant Square has programmed automatic exposures with compensation being offered. Plus there is a bulb mode, flash,
infrared shutter release built into the lens cap, a separate remote, and real glass in the lens. While a 95mm f10 lens may sound pretty slow, consider the fact that this is a 62mm x 62mm film plane–far larger than 35mm and 645. Plus, the viewfinder isn’t through the lens, instead it’s just more or less for framing.
The Lomography Lomo’Instant Square is currently on kickstarter in the funding phase and has a design that is incredibly different from a lot of other camera out there. Cameras with folding lenses usually involve the use of a bellows system that simply compacts in. This one seems to go in and to the side. That’s much different than a lot of other options out there. This camera is designed around what Lomography has done before with the Lomo’Instant Automat, the Lomo’Instant Automat Glass, and the Lomo’Instant Wide. But this, again, has a far different and retro look and aesthetic to it.
Tech specs are below.
- Film Format: Fujifilm Instax Square Film
- Exposure Area: 62mm x 62mm
- Lens Focal Length: 95mm (45mm equivalent)
- Auto Exposure Type: Programmed Automatic
- Aperture: Automatic f/10, f/22
- Shutter Speed: Bulb Mode up to 30 sec, Auto Mode 8s to 1/250
- Exposure Compensation: +1/-1 Exposure Values (Ambient Exposure)
- Film Ejection Mechanism: Motorized
- Multiple Exposures: Unlimited
- Built-In Flash Guide Number: 9 (m)
- Built-In Flash: Automatic Flash & Flash Off Mode
- Closest Focusing Distance: 0.8m
- Zone Focusing Setting: 0.8m / 1-2.5m / infinity (pre-set at 1-2.5m)
- Tripod Mount: Yes
- Remote Control Transmission: Infrared (front & back sensors on camera)
- Self Timer: Electronically controlled countdown to 10 seconds
- Film Counter: LED indication, counting down
- Battery Supply: 2 x CR2 batteries (6V) — please note that batteries are not included
- Remote Control Battery Supply: CR2025 (3V) — please note that batteries are not included
- Filter Thread Diameter: 30.5mm
- Lens Attachments: Portrait Glass Lens (closest focusing distance 50cm), Splitzer. Available in combo packages.
Be sure to back the camera and its funding on Kickstarter.