The Canon 85mm f1.2 L USM RF is officially being announced today after its development announcement.
One of things that genuinely sets the Canon RF camera system apart from others is a lens like the Canon 85mm f1.2 L USM RF. As the company’s second f1.2 aperture lens, the 85mm is more targeted to portraiture than the 50mm f1.2. Photographers who use the system and shoot portraits a lot will be inclined to spend their hard earned $2,699 on this lens, which is almost $1,000 more than Sony’s G Master. The new Canon 85mm f1.2 L USM RF includes the control ring around the lens, perhaps better weather sealing, a blue refractive element to reduce CA, and an f1.2 aperture. However, Sony’s 85mm f1.4 G Master Lens has 11 aperture blades where the Canon sports only 9. Sony’s also focuses closer.
Of any comparison out there, this is going to be the biggest one. Sony’s Eye AF algorithms are pretty much unbeatable at the moment, but Canon lenses have been delivering a look I can’t really get anywhere else. While other reviewers I know really like Nikon’s Z series system, I’m a bigger fan of Canon’s when comparing the big three. Admittedly, I own a heck of a lot more Sony gear because it gets the job done better than the others. But I’m very interested to see where the Canon 85mm f1.2 L USM RF places itself amongst the industry.
Additional Features of The Canon RF 85mm F1.2 L USM Include:
- Minimum focusing distance of 2.79 feet/0.85 meters
- Customizable control ring that allows photographers to adjust exposure compensation, shutter speed, aperture, or ISO
- One Aspheric and one UD Lens, along with BR optics help to reduce chromatic aberration
- 12-pin communication system
- L-Series dust and weather resistant build with fluorine coating
- Air Sphere Coating (ASC) to help minimize lens flare and ghosting
Pricing and Availability
The Canon RF 85mm F1.2 L USM lens is scheduled to be available June 2019 for an estimated retail price of $2,699.00*. For additional information, please visit Canon’s Website.