The Ares line has been and continues to be with this latest launch, Phottix’s budget oriented triggering option. The nice thing about the Ares II triggers is that in addition to those basic features that you expect out of a basic trigger, Phottix has added some additional goodies to sweeten the deal.
The triggers are capable of using up to 16 channels (with channels 1-4 being compatible with Phottix’s Strato line of triggers) and up to 4 groups. But an additional security measure, to prevent others from triggering your lights, Phottix has included Digital ID codes for the Ares II which allows you to set an ID for your transmitter and your receivers, meaning only you can trigger your gear, even if someone is using the same channel as you.
Additionally, the Ares II is now much more user-friendly with an easy to use LCD screen and clear easy to press buttons. On top of that all, Phottix claims the Ares II units are able to work at up to 150 meters, an excellent range that is more than enough for most photographers.
In the end these new triggers from Phottix look to be an excellent budget option for photographers who don’t need TTL, HSS, or other lighting tech and simply just want to trigger their lights remotely. The triggers and receivers are sold separately, and you can find them over on Amazon, here.
- Ares II is compatible with most major camera systems Canon, Nikon, Sony (MIS),Pentax and others.
- 2.4GHz wireless remote for reliable wireless communication.
- 16 Channel system with 4 Groups allowing for individual button control (A/B/C/D)
- Ares II has channel 1~4 support in Strato II receiver mode with Indra 500TTL and Indra 360TTL units.
- Ares II is not compatible with the original Phottix Ares