Last night, we reached our Kickstarter initiative goals and we got the $3,000 we’re asking for in taking the first steps to the creation of our Analog photography zine. A big, giant thank you goes out to everyone who spread the message, funded, and more importantly, believed in us. We promise you, we’re not going to let you down.
Now let me tell you more about this zine:
- It’s going to be 100 pages
- Printed on high quality magazine paper
- Full color (and black and white imagery is going to be in this too)
- It’s going to feature modern analog photographers, their work, and the stories behind why and how they create. A little bit of gear is going to be splashes into this too, but I want this to be an inspirational experience educating you about how film photographers think.
- It’s going to be a perfect coffee table book
- We’re still looking for more submissions (details are on our Kickstarter)
- You can still order one or get one with a subscription to La Noir Image, our premium publication.
So far we’ve got four photographers lined up and we’ve got a few others in mind. Depending on how this whole process goes we’re probably going to continue to do this via Kickstarter to get these special one-off zines started. If we were to do an actual magazine, we’d need over $30,000 to get started for the first year at least and I’d need to find a way to get advertisers interested. But this special one-off (and any that we do) won’t have ads. To clarify, I’m not too sure that advertisers wouldn’t be interested but it’s like starting a new business all over again.
As many of you have seen with La Noir Image, an ad free experience allows us to focus on more highly curated content. And so far, folks love it!