Canon is looking to up its speedlight game today with the release of a new 600EX II RT flash. This is a successor to their previous flagship flash with radio transmission built in. But they’re also releasing a new 28mm f3.5 macro lens with a ring light built right in.
Interesting, huh? More details are after the jump.
Canon EF-M 28 f3.5 MACRO IS STM
Photographers looking for a compact, lightweight macro lens should look no further than the Canon EF-M 28mm f/3.5 Macro IS STM lens, the first Canon Macro Lens specifically designed for the EOS M Camera System.
The new lens features a pair of built-in miniature Macro Lite electronic flash units that illuminate close-up subjects as needed, helping to freeze movement, enhance color accuracy and provide a better sense of depth and dimension. Two curved flash units surround the front element of the lens, with the ability to illuminate both simultaneously, or one at a time. Users are also able to adjust the brightness of the Macro Lites between “bright” and “dim” settings.
The standard focusing range of the Canon EF-M 28mm f/3.5 Macro IS STM lens extends from infinity to life-size (1 time). Additionally, a Super Macro Mode allows shooting at even higher magnifications up to 1.2 times. This feature allows you to capture smaller details that really make your subjects stand out against the background.
Additional features of the Canon EF-M 28mm f/3.5 Macro IS STM lens include:
- Hybrid IS, the same feature as found on Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Lens, helps reduce camera shake for enjoyable handheld photography.
- Stepping motor (lead screw-type STM) helps provide smooth and quiet focusing operation when taking photos, and near-silence when shooting videos.
- One UD lens and two aspherical lenses** help deliver outstanding image quality at all distance settings by reducing chromatic and spherical aberrations.
- Angle of view similar to a 45mm standard lens (35mm equivalent) provides flexible image capture of various subjects and scenes at macro distances and beyond.
- Tapered lens top shape makes it easy to capture high-quality images at close range without casting shadows.
Canon 600EX II RT
The Speedlite 600EX II-RT flash is compatible with most EOS cameras. It replaces Canon’s top-of-the-line Speedlite 600EX-RT, and improves recycling time by approximately 1.1 to 1.5 times* during continuous flash shooting when using AA batteries and up to 2 times* when adding the new optional Compact Battery Pack CP-E4N.
Canon is updating their flagship flash. These specs include:
- Zoom flash head covers wide focal length range of 20–200mm; maximum guide number is 197 ft./60m at ISO 100, making Speedlite 600EX II-RT flash the most powerful flash unit in the EOS system.
- Wireless flash shooting support is available for both radio and optical transmission with compatible Canon Speedlites, offering users greater functional range when using flash.
- Multiple flash system support allows control of up to five groups of compatible Canon Speedlites.
- Dust- and water-resistant body for reliable operation in harsh environments.
- Flash-readiness indicator on the display panel, simplified button and dial operation and variable manual flash output.
- New, specially designed accessories supplied include a built-in bounce adapter, plus SCF-E3 hard-type color filter sets, and a soft case. The new Compact Battery Pack CP-E4N is available as an optional accessory for faster recycling time and more flashes per charge.
- Illuminated dot matrix LCD panel for enhanced display information, including flash mode and usable distance ranges plus C.Fn (Custom Function) and P.Fn (Personal Function) settings.
The Canon Speedlite 600EX II-RT electronic flash unit is scheduled to be available through authorized Canon dealers in June 2016 for an estimated retail price of $579.991. Canon’s EF-M 28mm f/3.5 Macro IS STM lens is scheduled to be available through authorized Canon dealers in June for an estimated retail price of $299.991.
Canon PowerShot SX610 HS
- An Intelligent Image Stabilizer (IS) that helps optimize image stabilization for virtually shake-free images in a variety of shooting conditions
- Built-in Wi-Fi®** and Near Field Communication (NFC™)*** to allow for easy sharing and transferring of images and videos to a personal computer or other compatible devices such as the Canon Connect Station CS 100
- 2 megapixel* CMOS sensor with DIGIC 4+ Image Processor to help deliver stunning image quality, even in low light
- The ability to capture spectacular 1080p Full HD video
- Large 3.0-inch (approximately 922,000 dots) LCD to allow for easy viewing, even from a wide angle
- Hybrid Auto mode that allows for recording up to four seconds of video before each image that is captured, then automatically combines each clip and still into a quick video recap of the day
- Smart AUTO mode which intelligently selects the proper settings for the camera based on pre-defined shooting situations to help create the best possible image
- Creative Shot mode that uses composition, color and lighting from an original image to create unique images with an artistic flair
- An Auto Zoom feature that, when enabled, makes the camera automatically zoom in on subjects and help keep them in focus
Canon’s PowerShot SX620 HS digital camera, available in black, red and silver, is scheduled to be available in May 2016 for an estimated retail price of $279.991.