Want more Useful Photography Tips? Click here.
When it comes to photographing a person from the direct side, there are loads of portrait subjects who get self-conscious about how they look and may not necessarily want to. But you can fix that in-camera without Photoshop pretty easily just by doing a bit of stretching while creating a pose that looks natural.
How do you do this?
- Have the subject face to the side: either have them shift their weight to the leg/side further from the camera or have them perfectly straight
- Pull the clothing back to be a bit more form fitting
- Have them straighten up their back without sucking in their gut.
- Have them lean back just a bit while pulling their stomach in a bit
- Then make the portrait subject turn their shoulder closer to you just a bit back and to the side
Again, while there’s nothing wrong with embracing who you are (and I encourage it) it could be more important for others when it comes to social media portraits, headshots, etc.