Last year Sony surprised us with a new set of accessory lenses to turn your smartphone. Now the Japanese electronics firm is doubling down with a new QX1 adapter that will let users shoot with their E-mount lenses.
QX1 comes with a 20.1 megapixel APS-C size Exmor CMOS sensor paired with a BIONZ X. If the specs sound familiar that’s because the QX1 is essentially a Sony A5000 even down to the same 25-point contrast detection autofocus system. The big difference is the QX1 lacks a screen or any physical camera body – but there is a pop-up flash.
However, Sony isn’t just re-purposing its now replaced A5000 guts. The Japanese company also claims it has improved area-specific noise reduction, allowing the sensor to produce “stunning low-light images.“ As you might expect the APS-C camera accessory can shoot RAW images and even 1080p video at 30fps. We’ve got even more from Sony, click past the jump to read on.
Sony also announced a new QX30, its first smartphone super-zoom lens accessory featuring a 30x optical zoom. The new lens joins Sony’s pair of smartphone accessory lenses including the QX10 and QX100. Tucked behind the QX30’s 25-750mm equivalent lens there’s an 1/23-inch 20.4MP Exmor R CMOS sensor.
As ever Sony’s new lens accessories will connect with an iOS and Android smartphone though Sony’s PlayMemories Mobile app. The mobile application has also been updated to a new version 5.0, which adds an updated interface with grid lines and a mirror mode designed just for selfies.
The QX30 will be available later this September for $350, meanwhile, the QX1 will come two months later for $400. The low-price tag on the QX1 makes it cheaper than any Alpha E-Mount camera. It’s an interesting new entry in Sony’s mirrorless (and now screen-less) camera market. While it’s a little to early to call the QX1 a better buy than your standard camera, you can bet we’ll come up with some interesting new ways to test this pocketable camera sensor.
- 20.1MP APS-C Exmor CMOS sensor
- Sony E-mount lenses
- 5456 x 3632(20MP) RAW+JPEG Images
- 1/4000-30 second shutter speed
- ISO 100-16000
- 1920 x 1080 (29.97fps approx. 16Mbps) Movie mode
- Micro SDXC memory card
- 25 points contrast-detection AF
- Continuous shooting mode: 2.5 fps
- Speed priority continuous shooting: 3.5 fps
- NFC and Wi-FI Connectivity
- Dimensions (WxHxD): 74.0mm x 69.5mm x 52.5mm
- Weight: 216g (With battery and Memory Stick Micro included) or 158g (Body only)
- 1/2.3” (7.82mm) 20.4 Megapixel Exmor R CMOS sensor
- ISO 80-12800
- 1/6000-4 second shutter speed
- 10fps continuous shooting mode
- Sony G lens, 11 elements in 10 groups (including 5 aspherical elements)
- 25-750mm focal range (35mm equivalent)
- f3.5-6.3 maximum aperture
- 5-200cm minimum focusing distance
- NFC and Wi-Fi connectivity
- Dimensions (WxHxD): 68.4mm x 65.1mm x 57.6mm (2 3/4 in. x 2 5/8 in. x2 3/8 in.)
- Weight: 193g (0lb 6.8oz.) (Battery and Memory Stick_micro are included) / 178g (0lb 6.3oz.) (Body Only)