The Android camera app market is highly competitive, and rightfully so. Mobile photography is so popular that neither manufacturers nor developers can afford not to invest in this market. And thus there’s a vast number of third-party camera apps available on the Android market. Some try to improve on Android’s stock camera app, some try to deliver extra functionality, while others try to bring you a completely new shooting experience. The guys from Cyanogen Mod–the number one Android firmware replacement–have taken on the task of creating a new camera app called “Focal”, which aims to improve upon Android’s stock camera by adding a bulk of new functionality. Details and promo video after the break.
According to Android Police, Focal’s functionality includes:
- Front-facing camera mode
- Video mode
- 360° panorama mode
- Flash mode: Torch, On, Off, Auto
- White Balance: Cloudy Outside, Daylight, Fluorescent, Incandescent, Auto
- Scene Mode: Theater, Sunset, Steady, Sports, Snow, Portrait, Party, Night Portrait, Night, Landscape, HDR, Flowers, Fireworks, Candlelight, Beach, Backlight, Best Shot, Augmented Reality, Auto
- Color Effects: Neon, Sketch, Emboss, Aqua, Whiteboard, Blackboard, Posterize, Sepia, Polarize, Negative, Black and White, Disabled
- Color Enhancements
- Exposure Measure Mode
- ISO Sensitivity
- Burst Mode
- Settings: Widgets Chooser, Auto-Enhancement, Exposure Ring, Image Size
The app is bound to appear in upcoming versions of Cyanogen Mod, but there’s no word on whether it may also appear as a stand-alone app for those of use not running CM on their devices. But if we’re lucky, maybe some savvy hacker will export the app in a way that makes it run on stock firmware or others ROMs as well.
Please Support The Phoblographer
We love to bring you guys the latest and greatest news and gear related stuff. However, we can’t keep doing that unless we have your continued support. If you would like to purchase any of the items mentioned, please do so by clicking our links first and then purchasing the items as we then get a small portion of the sale to help run the website.