The Leica M6 is already quite in high demand, but this purple variant takes it over the top.
The Leica M6 is probably one of the most famous cameras the company ever made. Heck, Leica even commissioned us to create a post about some of the best lenses for it. It’s quite honestly the perfect Leica film camera in so many ways. It’s got a lot of features that make it within reach of anyone who picks it up. But anytime you give it a facelift, you’re bound to drive the hype up. So we found this Purple Leica M6. Suddenly, I could’ve sworn that the Kool-aid guy crashed through my wall filled with purple Kool-Aid. He screamed “Oh yeah!” at me. But then I realized that none of that happened. Instead, I was listening to the sound of my own beating heart.
This variant of the Leica M6 sold by the reliable breguetcamera was custom done. It’s not clear if it was from the Leica A La Carte program. But there are also lots of folks who can reskin your Leica. The quality varies, of course. However, this one seems positively wonderful. Better yet, it even flexes a bit of patina. However, through and through, this has to be one of the cleanest Leica M6 cameras I’ve ever seen. The fact that it’s a Purple Leica M6 is just that wonderful glass of wine to end the day.
So technically speaking, this Purple Leica M6 is just like almost any other Leica M6. We’re not sure which viewfinder variant it is, though. But there’s a good reason why the camera is so beloved. Let’s list a bunch of them:
- They’re super reliable and well built. I’ve personally shot with them in the rain a bunch of times, and they’ve done just fine.
- They feel fantastic in your hands.
- They have a working light meter that uses a modern battery. And when the light meter stops working, the camera just becomes a Leica M4.
- It’s got a fully mechanical shutter, so it doesn’t need a battery to keep operating. This helps with reliability.
- It boasts almost all the frame lines you’d need.
- They’re quiet, but that shutter sound is still wonderful.
- The Leica film loading system is by far the best non-automated system I’ve used.
- 1/1000th shutter is all you need, really. Just stop your lenses down in bright light.
- It’s a camera that you can start out on and keep using until the end.
We reviewed the Leica M6 TTL a while back. And in my review, I said:
“I enjoy the Leica M6 TTL. It’s a beautiful camera that slings around me well and functions flawlessly. I’d be telling a lie if I said that I didn’t like sometimes wearing it like a piece of photographer’s jewelry. But it’s also fun to shoot with. Most photographers will only need the Leica M6. But if you want to make the commitment to shooting events and using film the way so many photographers are these days, then the Leica M6 TTL is probably the right choice for you.”
Can you tell I’m a fan? Quite honestly, I tell everyone to get a Leica M6 if they can. This Purple Leica M6 is seriously a beaut. If you know, you know. And I don’t really need to sell this camera anymore to you folks. Go check it out for yourself.
All images of this variant of the Leica M6 sold by the reliable breguetcamera were taken from the listing.