Last Updated on 12/03/2020 by Chris Gampat
We’re streaming daily on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Stitcher, Pocket Casts, and Spotify!
If you’re a photographer who has a series and you don’t use Photoshop, we want to feature you. It’s our mission to teach the masses that photography doesn’t necessarily mean you need Photoshop. There’s a line between being a photographer and a Photoshop artist. Maybe you’ve got the skills to not even use post-production. Sure, we’ll allow a bit of Lightroom or Capture One editing, but we want to feature photographers with the creativity and know-how to pull it off in-camera. Maybe you’re using lens filters or flashes, etc. We just want to feature the best of the best. After the jump, we’ve got instructions!
PLEASE CAREFULLY FOLLOW THESE DIRECTIONS. SUBMISSIONS MAY NOT BE CONSIDERED OTHERWISE AND MAY HEAD STRAIGHT TO THE SPAM FOLDER.
- The subject line of your email should be: No Photoshop: (Your name here)
- Shoot an email to chrisgampat[at]thephoblographer[dot]com. You’ll also probably notice the little call to feature you on the sidebar.
- Describe yourself as a photographer. Think about the who, what, when, where, how, and why. Tell us about who you are as a photographer, list what cameras, lenses, lights, films (or plates, or papers), and other gear you use. Tell us about your creative vision when you create and take photos.
Then, answer these questions:
- Why did you get into photography?
- Which photographers are your biggest influences? How did they affect who you are and how you create?
- How long have you been shooting? How do you feel you’ve evolved since you started?
- Tell us about your photographic identity. You as a person have an identity that fundamentally makes you who you are. Tell us about that person as a photographer.
- Tell us about the gear you’re using. Please give us a list of the gear and the reasons why you choose it. Please be descriptive. We want to know how it helps you translate your creative vision.
- Natural light or artificial light? Why?
- Why is photography and shooting so important to you?
- Do you feel you’re more of a creator or a documenter? Why? How does the gear help you do this?
- What’s typically going through your mind when you create images? Tell us about your processes both mentally and mechanically? PLEASE BE DESCRIPTIVE
- Please walk us through your processing techniques. Also, tell us about how you’re achieving your look without Photoshop if you’re comfortable with that.
- Tell us about the project or portfolio you’re pitching to us. Be descriptive with the who, what, when, where, how, and why.
- What made you want to get into your genre?
- What motivates you to shoot?
- Explain why the readers want to see your work., or why your project is really cool.
- Show us up to 10 photos (at 3000 pixels on the long side) that demonstrate some of your best work. Send these as direct attachments or in a WeTransfer link.
- List websites and social media pages where folks should follow you.