Last Updated on 01/15/2019 by Mark Beckenbach
During a livestream today, Sony updated a number of their products as well as a big Sony a9 firmware update.
In addition to a big update to the Sony a9 via a firmware update, the company announced their brand new Sony a6400 camera. This new APS-C camera has a 24MP APS-C sensor at its heart and incorporates the company’s new Speed x AI. This update is coming to the company’s highest end cameras soon, but the new Sony a6400 applies it to pets, animals, and uses a bunch of new algorithms that have been talked about by the likes of Apple, Google, etc. when it comes to photography. At 11fps, it will theoretically be able to track your French Bulldog running around like the maniac it is.
It appears the rumors were right, the Sony a6400 is coming.
- 24MP APS-C
- ISO 100 to 32000 for stills and video
- HLG picture profile for HDR workflows
- Intervalometer for the first time
- 180 degree tilt screen to reinforce how vain you are
- USB power
- This new camera has the new Speed x AI built in
- 200ths of a second AF acquisition
- Same processor as the sony a9
- 11FPS shooting
- Real time Eye AF
- 425 phase-detection AF points and 425 contrast-detection AF points covering approximately 84% of the image area
- Real time Eye AF for animals
- Available at $900 next month
From the press release:
World’s Fastest 0.02 seconds AF acquisition speed plus 425 phase-detection and contrast-detection AF points covering approximately 84% of image area
Advanced Real-time Eye AF
New Real-time Tracking for object tracking
24.2MP APS-C Exmor™ CMOS image sensor and latest-generation BIONZ X™ image processor
180-degree fully tiltable LCD touch screen for self-recording
High-speed continuous shooting at up to 11 fps mechanical shutter / 8 fps silent shooting with continuous AF/AE tracking
High-resolution 4K movie recording with full pixel readout and no pixel binning, plus advanced AF speed and stability
Interval recording for time-lapse videos
Sony a9 5.0 Firmware Update (and the Sony a7 III and Sony a7r III)
The Sony a9 is getting firmware 5.0 soon. From the live stream, we gathered the following:
- Speed x AI: Real time eye-AF for animals. They announced this at Photokina 2018. You can tell the camera to choose an eye (like Fujifilm and Olympus) or make it auto.
- Real Time tracking: Maintains tight recognition when it comes to tracking. It inputs depth data. It should be able to work in video too.
More from the live stream below. It’s coming in March 2019 and these updates are supposed to help push the camera even further. For wildlife photography, it will make it a significantly better camera–or at least that’s the promise.
The Sony a7r III and Sony a7 III are also getting real time autofocus tracking for animals. Those updates are coming in April 2019, so look out for them then.