Ever been afraid of messing up developing your own black and white film at home? It’s a relatively easy process, but a lot can still go wrong — too much development, improper dilution, lengthy development time, bubble marks, and over-agitation are among the most common. But, CineStill is coming to the rescue with a solution. Say hello to fool-proof home development for your black and white films — the CineStill Df96 Monobath!
The Df96 Monobath, as its name suggests, is a ready-to-use processing solution for traditional black and white film in just ONE bath. According to CineStill, it makes over-processing practically impossible as “the fixing action overtakes chemical development while aiding physical development, creating better image uniformity and finer grain negatives.”
CineStill assures that Df96 also produces fully archival negatives with proper care. Extending the processing time to ensure full fixing of undeveloped silver halide will not affect development. Washing time of five minutes after Df96 processing is also enough to achieve archival standards. Aside from the fully archival process, it also promises to boost shadow tonality without over-processing the highlights.
How do you develop traditional black and white films with the CineStill Df96 Monobath? All you need is a processing tank, and a thermometer to develop CineStill BwXX and other black and white films at home. Simply determine the necessary temperature of the solution, pick the recommended time or agitation combination on the label, pour into your tank with the film inside, and do rest in the simple instructions. If you want to push or pull your film, simply adjust the temperature with +/- 10°F per stop.
You can also reuse the CineStill Df96 Monobath to develop around 16 rolls of film. Simply pour the used chemical back into the bottle and add 15 seconds for every previously developed roll, until the processing time reaches 8 minutes.
Here are the full features of the Df96 Monobath that CineStill shared with us:
- Ready-to-use processing for traditional B&W film in 1 bath
- Worlds fastest process at 80°F in just 3min!
- Flexible processing temperatures (70-80°F)
- Instructions for processing at any room temperature included
- Temp. tolerance is +/-2°F
- For normal or push processing
- Push/Pull processing by adjusting temp. +/- 10°F
- Reusable, all-in-one solution.
- Processes over 16+ rolls of film
- Process 1-8 rolls at a time
- Extremely versatile self-completing process
- No special processor needed (use standard processing tanks and reels)
- Fully archival (following the processing instructions below)
Ready to give it a try? Head to the CineStill website to find out more and stock up on the Df96 Monobath!