Last Updated on 05/23/2018 by Mark Beckenbach
The Best — a term that gets thrown around a lot, but is incredibly subjective, especially in photography
Nikon is still one of the largest and most well-known camera brands out there and a question that many newcomers to photography always want answered is, “What are the best lenses for my camera?” It doesn’t matter if you shoot Fujifilm, Sony, Canon, Olympus, Panasonic, Pentax, or in this case Nikon. There is always someone out there who thinks that there are ‘best’ lenses or ‘best’ cameras. The truth, as anyone who has been doing this for a while knows, is that it is not a black and white question but more of a spectrum of good for you or not good for you. The YOU being the important part.
Anyway, that doesn’t stop people from asking, and that doesn’t stop the question from being answered in a variety of ways. Kai has been putting out some great videos since his departure from DigitalREV and one of his latest he decided to tackle this question from the full frame Nikon perspective. He does this with his usual wit and charm, but what we liked was how he explained each selection; rather than simply giving us a list without any context or explanation.
Kai’s Top 5 Nikon FX Lenses
- [amazon_textlink asin=’B01M4L36RJ’ text=’Nikon 70-200mm F2.8 FL’ template=’ProductLink’ store=’thephobl-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’0cab7916-5de8-11e8-ad53-2dca35517c13′]
- [amazon_textlink asin=’B00FY3T9DW’ text=’Nikon 58mm F1.4′ template=’ProductLink’ store=’thephobl-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’18931be7-5de8-11e8-81de-8da5d3d8de25′]
- [amazon_textlink asin=’B003ZSHNE0′ text=’Nikon 85mm F1.4 G’ template=’ProductLink’ store=’thephobl-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’1e52d1b0-5de8-11e8-956f-f534e84ef620′]
- [amazon_textlink asin=’B01J4S9YRI’ text=’Nikon 105mm F1.4 E’ template=’ProductLink’ store=’thephobl-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’2afcda7f-5de8-11e8-bd45-95005856a7b4′]
- [amazon_textlink asin=’B00RUBKAS4′ text=’Nikon 300mm F4 PF’ template=’ProductLink’ store=’thephobl-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’32c902a5-5de8-11e8-ba3b-4dde65c03943′]
That is quite the list of excellent Nikkor glass for sure; but is it really the best? For Kai, maybe. But what about for you, or for anyone else for that matter? Chances are there would be some edits to the list that each of you would make if you took your time to do research and play with all of the available lenses. For example, if all you shoot is street photography, then your need for that 300mm lens will be rare at best. So are these the best — for some one you, maybe. But at the very least they offer you a place to start your research and the opinion of someone whom you trust.
For what it is worth, we have our own list, if the expensive options that Kai mentioned are out of your budget. Have a look at our best budget lenses for Nikon list.
Let us know what you would pick as your top five Nikkor FX lenses!