Last Updated on 04/21/2018 by Mark Beckenbach
The large format bellows camera goes completely digital in this hefty-sized, hefty-priced creation by LargeSense.
If you’ve ever wondered whether those massive 8×10 large format cameras will ever have digital counterparts, the answer now is yes. Say hello to the LargeSense LS911, which lays claim to the title of “world’s first 8×10 digital single shot camera for sale.” With this mammoth digital camera, you’ll be able to truly go big or go home in terms of image sensor size. But you’ll also need deeper pockets: it’s priced at a whopping $106,000.
The LS911 is equipped with a 12-megapixel 9×11 inch monochrome CMOS censor (or a massive 75 micron pixels). It has 900 GB internal storage, a CF or SD card slot, ISO setting at either 2100 or 6400, and file formats in DNG, 16-bit TIFF, 32-bit TIFF, RAW, and JPEG. While it doesn’t have CFA, the monochrome sensor can create color images of non-moving subjects through a built-in 3-shot system and color filters. It also allows remote view and control through WiFi.
But, that’s not all. This digital large format camera can also shoot 4K 3840 x 2160 video at 26 fps through its electronic shutter. What videos to make using this mammoth camera would be another interesting matter altogether.
For those curious about how shooting with the LargeSense LS911 goes, this demo video has all the answers:
LS911 Technical Specifications:
- 9×11-Inch high sensitivity, large pixel digital sensor–We tend to refer to it as 8×10 as that is the closest format that people search for.
- 12 megapixels
- 75 micron pixel size–These are very large and sharp compared to high resolution small format cameras.
- Live view for easy focusing
- WiFi for remote viewing and control
- Video modes (all progressive):
Up to 26fps:
Full frame 3888 x 3072 and optional crop sizes: 3840 × 2160, 3840 x 1600, 1920 x 1080.
Optional full frame down sampling to 1920 x 1080 and 1280 x 720.
Up to 70fps with pixel 2×2 pixel binning:
Full frame: 1944 x 1536 and optional cropping to 1920×1080.
Optional full frame down sampling to 1280 x 720.
- Stereo sound recording inputs
- Video output options 16 bit TIFFs, DNGs, CinemaDNG, JPEGs, h.264
- 14 bit AD; 16 bit files
- 2 hardware ISO modes
Base ISO 2,100 – with IR filter – (approximate)
High ISO 6,400 – with IR filter – (approximate)
- No CFA, no AA and no micro lenses. This allows large movements without affecting edge image quality.
- Output to DNG, TIFF 16 bit, TIFF 32 bit, RAWRAW and JPEG.
- Media: CF or SD card slot, 900GB internal storage and USB3.1 drive output.
- Tethered operation, by CAT5 cable or WiFi.
- 3.5mm Jack for external shutter button
- Rear movements can be done by putting the lens on a separate tripod.
- Dust – The sensor is large and can pick up dust. It is easy to remove the bellows and clean the sensor. Also a white frame can be taken before a photo session which works very well in removing most dust. The white frame is incorporated into the camera software.
Want to know more? Head to the LS911 product page on the LargeSense website to satisfy your curiosity and express interest for this one-of-a-kind, large format camera.