Last Updated on 02/22/2018 by Mark Beckenbach
Best of all, the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 Di III RXD is most likely going to be affordable.
It’s been awhile since any of the major third party manufacturers said they’d be developing any sort of lenses for the Sony FE lineup of cameras, but the new Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 Di III RXD is being announced right before WPPI 2018. Though details are still scant, we know a few major tidbits. Today’s press release states that the lens will have a minimum focusing distance of 7.5 inches, measure only 4.6 inches in length, and have what Tamron is calling their Rapid eXtra-silent stepping drive–which is essentially a silent, really fast focusing motor. Plus, it’s going to have moisture-resistance and a coating on the glass elements that makes it resistant to fingerprints.
More details from the press release are after the jump.
Tamron announces the development of a high-speed standard zoom lens for Sony full-frame mirrorless cameras: Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 Di III RXD (Model A036)
February 22, 2018, Commack, New York – Tamron announces the development of a new high-speed standard zoom lens for Sony full-frame mirrorless cameras, the Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 Di III RXD (Model A036). This signals Tamron’s plans to further expand and improve its lens lineup for full-frame mirrorless cameras, in addition to its lenses for DSLR and other mirrorless camera formats.
Model A036 delivers superb optical performance, including both outstanding image quality and beautiful background blur effects (bokeh). Photographers may enjoy dynamic wide-angle expressions like never before thanks to a minimum object distance of 7.5 in at the wideangle zoom setting. Usefulness and versatility are enhanced by its compact size and light weight, measuring only 4.6 in and weighing 19.4 oz. Model A036 incorporates an all-new high-speed and precise AF driving system. The RXD (Rapid eXtra-silent stepping Drive) stepping motor unit operates with remarkable quietness, making it perfect for video use. The lens also features Moisture-Resistant Construction that is helpful in outdoor photography, plus hydrophobic Fluorine Coating that is highly resistant to fingerprints and debris. In addition, A036 is compatible with the “Direct Manual Focus (DMF)” system feature of Sony cameras, enabling this new zoom to take full advantage of the advanced functions that ensure comfortable user experiences.
- Superb optical performance, including both outstanding image quality and beautiful background blur effects (bokeh), provided by fast F/2.8 aperture.
- Comfortably light weight (19.4 oz.) and compact (4.6 in).
- Close-focusing; Minimum Object Distance: 7.5 in at wide-angle setting and 15.3 in at the telephoto position.
- All-new “RXD” stepping motor AF unit is extremely quiet and therefore perfect for video capture.
- Exciting next-generation design keeping the brand consistency that is ergonomically superb.
- Moisture-Resistant Construction and Fluorine Coating for weather protection.
- Compatible with the “Direct Manual Focus (DMF)” feature that enables Sony cameras to instantly switch between autofocus and manual focus.
* Specifications, appearance, functionality, etc. are subject to change without prior notice.