It wasn’t such a great kept secret, but the Panasonic G9 is finally a real thing.
The Panasonic G9 looks to be one of the company’s most serious mirrorless cameras to date; and when you look at the thing, everything about it makes you think about a Canon 5D series camera but in mirrorless form. I mean, look at it: the body resembles a DSLR so much. The Panasonic G9 has a 20.3MP Four Thirds sensor at the heart, 6.5 stop of IS compensation, claims the world’s fastest autofocus speed, 20fps shooting in continuous autofocus, 60fps in single autofocus and all of that at 20.3MP. Yes, that’s insane. But there’s even more.
Panasonic G9 Main Points
- Evolving from the GH5’s high performance, the LUMIX G9 achieves the highest-ever image quality in photo shooting by elevating resolution, gradation and color reproduction with its 20.3-megapixel Digital Live MOS Sensor without a low-pass filter.
- A High Resolution mode is also added that provides 80-megapixel equivalent images in JPEG /RAW formats produced in-camera.
- The Body I.S. (Image Stabilizer) in the LUMIX G9 is dramatically improved, making it possible to use 6.5 stops of compensation with or without Dual I.S.2.0 compatible Lumix lenses.
- The high-speed, high-precision AF with DFD technology achieves the world’s fastest*1AF speed of 0.04 sec*2. With its high-tracking performance to the subject, the LUMIX G9 does not lose the target subject.
- The LUMIX G9 also boasts the fastest-in-class*3 20 fps (AFC) / 60 fps (AFS) in 20.3-megapixel full resolution to capture those unmissable moments. Complying with 6K/4K PHOTO, users can choose the most suitable burst shooting mode in addition to the regular consecutive shooting mode and the new pre-burst shooting mode.
- To withstand heavy field use, the LUMIX G9 is composed of a magnesium alloy full die-cast front / rear frame and is not only splash-proof*5 and dust-proof but also freeze proof down to -10 degrees centigrade.
- The largest-in-class Status LCD on the top of the camera makes shooting even easier and more comfortable.
- For the rear monitor, a 3.0-inch free-angle LCD in 3:2 aspect ratio with 1,040K-dot high resolution is equipped. The G9 has a double SD Memory Card slot, compatible with the high-speed, high-capacity UHS-II.
- The LUMIX G9 includes Bluetooth and Wi-Fi® connectivity to offer a more flexible shooting experience and instant image sharing with easy operation. Compatibility with Bluetooth 4.2 (called BLE: Bluetooth Low Energy) enables constant connection with a smartphone or tablet with minimum power consumption. For Wi-Fi, 5GHz (IEEE802.11ac) can be selected in addition to the conventional 2.4GHz (IEEE 802.11b/g/n) for an even more secure and stable connection.
- The LUMIX G9 has the largest-in-class LVF with a stunningly high magnification ratio of approx.1.66x / 0.83x (35mm camera equivalent). The magnification ratio can be switched between 0.7x, 0.77x and 0.83x according to the shooting situation. High-precision, high-speed OLED (Organic Light-Emitting Diode) display features 3,680K-dot high resolution and 100% field of view. Adoption of OLED for the LVF achieves smooth display at 120 fps and high speed response with minimum time lag of less than 0.005 sec as well as 10,000:1 high contrast for exceptional visibility. No blackout occurs even in high speed burst shooting, so as not to lose sight of the subject.
- The LUMIX G9 also comes with a joystick at the optimal position to achieve intuitive focus area control without taking the eyes off of the viewfinder, together with a focus lever and AF mode button. Dials on the grip and Fn buttons are also located in the best position to operate unseen.
The new G9 and all accessories will be available in early January 2018. The G9 (body only) MSRP will be $1,699.99 and the Battery Grip $349.99.
Panasonic LEICA DG ELMARIT 200mm F2.8 POWER O.I.S. Specs
November 8, 2017 (Newark, NJ) – Panasonic Consumer Electronics Company is proud to introduce a new telephoto single focal length lens, the LEICA DG ELMARIT 200mm / F2.8 / POWER O.I.S. (35 mm camera equivalent: 400 mm). The LEICA DG ELMARIT 200mm / F2.8 / POWER O.I.S. is the first large-diameter ultra-telephoto fixed focal length lens within the LEICA DG family. It boasts the sharpest-ever corner-to-corner image quality in the history of LUMIX digital interchangeable lenses. Featuring high mobility in a compact, lightweight design, it also offers handheld ultra-telephoto shooting.
With its 400mm ultra telephoto focal length and stunning descriptive performance, the LEICA DG ELMARIT 200mm F2.8 POWER O.I.S. is suitable for wildlife or sports photography. The 1.4x Teleconverter (DMW-TC14) is bundled to extend the focusing distance to 560mm (35mm camera equivalent) for close-up shots.
The fast F2.8 aperture lets users capture fast-moving subjects while the POWER O.I.S. (Optical Image Stabilizer) effectively compensates for hand-shake movement, making it easy to shoot even without a tripod or in low-lit situations. The lens works with Dual I.S.*2 (Image Stabilizer) and Dual I.S. 2.0*3 systems when mounted on a compliant Panasonic LUMIX DSLM (Digital Single Lens Mirrorless) camera for more powerful hand-shake suppression.
Clearing the stringent quality standard of LEICA, the lens is comprised of 15 elements in 13 groups, featuring two UED (Ultra Extra-low Dispersion) lenses. The use of UED lenses and Panasonic cutting-edge optical technology achieve high resolution, high contrast images from corner to corner while suppressing distortion and chromatic aberration.
Incorporating a triple linear motor system and max.240 fps sensor drive, the new LEICA DG ELMARIT 200mm F2.8 POWER O.I.S. achieves high-speed, high-precision contrast AF system for both photo and video recording. This stunning AF performance is excellent to record 4K video, where precise focusing is required. In addition, the micro-step drive system in the aperture control section helps the camera smoothly catch up to brightness changes when panning.
The LEICA DG ELMARIT 200mm / F2.8 / POWER O.I.S. boasts a rugged, dust/splash-proof design and is freeze-proof down to -10℃ (14 degrees F) to withstand professional use under harsh conditions. Offered in sharp, metallic black color, it stylishly matches the LUMIX G Digital Single Lens Mirrorless (DSLM) cameras.
The LEICA DG ELMARIT 200mm / F2.8 / POWER O.I.S. can also be used with the 2.0x Teleconverter DMW-TC20 (sold separately), which extends the focusing distance to 800mm (35mm camera equivalent) to capture subjects at a greater distane.
*1 The 1.4x Teleconverter (DMW-TC14) is also sold separately as an optional accessory.
*2 Dual I.S. is available on GX8, GX80/85
*3 Dual I.S. 2.0 is available on GH5, G9, G80/81/85
- Some functions of H-ES200 cannot be used with DC-GH5. The firmware for DC-GH5 to fully comply with H-ES200 is scheduled to be released by the end of March, 2018.
- Design and specifications are subject to change without notice.
- LEICA is a registered trademark of Leica Microsystems IR GmbH.
- ELMARIT is a registered trademark of Leica Camera AG.
The new ELMARIT 200mm lens and accessories will be available in early January 2018. The lens with the 1.4x teleconverter MSRP will be $2,999.99 and the optional 2x teleconverter is $599.99.
About Panasonic Consumer Electronics Company
Based in Newark, NJ, Panasonic Consumer Electronics Company is a division of Panasonic Corporation of North America, the principal North American subsidiary of Panasonic Corporation. The company offers a wide range of consumer solutions in the U.S. including LUMIX Digital Cameras, Camcorders, Blu-ray players, Home Audio, Technics, Cordless Phones, Home Appliances, Beauty, Grooming, Wellness and Personal Care products and more. Panasonic was featured in Fortune Magazine’s 2016 ranking of 50 companies that are changing the world and doing well by doing good. Specifically cited were its smart and sustainable technologies, including its contributions to smart cities and the electric vehicle revolution.
Follow Press Updates for Panasonic Consumer Products:
Internet – https://us.panasonic.com/news
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/panasonicusaconsumerpress
Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/panasonicusa_consumer_press
Press Resource Contacts:
Panasonic North America Corp. Consumer Press firstname.lastname@example.org
Kristen Kmetetz (Porter Novelli) Kmetetz@porternovelli.com