Today Fotodiox Pro quietly announced five new lens adapters for the forthcoming Fujifilm GFX 50S mirrorless medium format camera. Interestingly enough, the five new Fotodiox adapters for Fujifilm’s GFX camera include three full-frame to G-mount adapters for Nikon’s F-mount, Canon’s EF-mount, and Olympus’s legacy OM-mount (35mm) lenses. Rounding out the current lineup, Fotodiox also announced adapters for Contax and Mamiya 645 lenses as well.
GFX Lens Adapter Specs from FotodioxPro:
- Enhanced craftsmanship and high-tolerance construction for demanding professionals; infinity focus or beyond guaranteed
- Precise fit and solid connection; lens has no play, gap, or wiggling when mounted on adapter and no adjustments required
- Precision all-metal construction with chrome plated brass mounts for secure and solid fit
- 24-Month Fotodiox warranty
- Compatible Cameras (including, but not limited to) – [emphasis ours] Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format Mirrorless Camera
The inclusion of the 35mm lens adapters is surprising as it leaves a big question as to whether they will perform effectively on the larger sensor of the GFX cameras. It’s highly unlikely that the 35mm lenses will cover the full sensor resulting in a black ring around the edges of the frame at best. It’s possible that both Fuji and Fotodiox are using these as a stop-gap for early adopters that might not be ready to fully commit to the new system. Then again, if a recently leaked image of a Fotodiox promo is to be believed, we can expect some additional lens mount adapters, including medium format lens adapters for Hasselblad and Bronica ETRS leaf-shutter lenses, as early as March.
If you’ve been awaiting the official release of the Fujifilm GFX 50S medium format camera, a letter from Fujifilm Japan notes a February 28th release; while the first five Fotodiox GFX adapters are available for order now. The Mamiya 645 adapter is currently listed at $169.95 and the four other (35mm) adapters are listed at $149.95.