In fact, this sensor outdoes everything that Sony can do in every way. It also outdoes the Nikon D810 and the Pentax K-1 sensors. Of course, it’s mostly a video camera, but the sensor is incredibly capable.
It’s also a whole lot more expensive.
Specifications for the RED WEAPON with HELIUM 8K S35
- 35.4MP CMOS sensor
- 75 fps 8K capture at 2.4:1 (8392 x 3456)
- 60 fps RAW full 8K resolution
- 120 fps at 4K resolution (240 fps at 2K)
- 300 MB/second data readout
- Captures in 16-bit RECODE RAW or Apple ProRes or Avid DNxHR/HD
- Super 35-format sensor (29.90 mm x 15.77 mm)
- Integrated dual-channel audio
- Integrated REDLINK WiFi antenna
- Upgrade path to WEAPON 8K VV (when available)
You can see the results and comparison on DXOMark’s website.