Update: it’s live on the US’s site now too.
There have been lots of rumors on the web about whether or not the Fujifilm X-A10 would be a real thing, and it appears that they were right. This morning, the company announced their newest addition to their X series lineup of cameras that stuffs a 16.3MP APS-C sensor at the heart, though it isn’t clear if it’s an X Trans sensor or not though we’re positive that it isn’t. This is due to the fact that Fujifilm is billing the new X-A10 as a first ILC for consumers.
The Fujifilm X-A10 has a slide and tilt LCD screen that they state is for self-portraits because, you know, that’s exactly what the world needs. For this reason, the company shaped the grip to be ergonomic for both selfie use and what we’d otherwise call normal.
Additionally, the camera has two command dials, can last for what Fujifilm claims to be 410 frames on a single battery charge, and has an ISO range from 200-6400. Sorry Fuji fans, this camera won’t have the new Acros film simulation but it will have Classic Chrome.
It seems like a pretty cool camera, but it’s currently only on Fujifilm’s Global site and not the US site. What I really don’t understand is why there is no Acros mode as that seems to only be limited to the 24MP sensor model cameras. The prefect lens for this camera is most likely the 27mm f2.8 since it’s so small and compact. Seriously, who needs a zoom.
More specs and details from the press release are below.
(1) Outstanding image quality, made possible by the newly-developed 16.3 megapixel image sensor
- Fujifilm’s color reproduction technology, nurtured through the development of photographic film, reproduces accurate, warm skin tones, clear blue skies and lush green foliage in tones as you remember them in your mind.
- The APS-C sensor delivers beautifully smooth bokeh effects for portraiture and macro shots when using a shallow depth of field.
- The X-A10 offers a total of six Film Simulation modes, namely the true-to-life colors of PROVIA (standard), the vibrant tones and saturated colors of Velvia (vivid), the soft tones of ASTIA (soft), the documentary-style tones of CLASSIC CHROME, as well as Monochrome and Sepia.
- The normal sensitivity range covers ISO200 to ISO6400, while extended sensitivity settings of ISO12800 and even ISO25600 can be selected when you want to minimize camera shake. The X-A10 produces clear images with astonishingly low noise, even on low-light nightscapes and indoor shots where high ISOs are essential.
- Advanced Filters help you easily produce creative effects. A total of ten Advanced Filters are available, including the new “Fisheye” and “Cross Screen” as well as Toy Camera, Miniature, Dynamic Tone, Pop Color, Soft Focus, High Key, Low Key and Partial Color.
(2) Designed for perfect self-portraits
- Perfect composition
The rear LCD employs a slide-and-tilt mechanism. When it is tilted 180 degrees into “selfie-mode”, it can slide out further to ensure the camera body doesn’t block the view.
- Ergonomic Grip
The grip is shaped to accommodate both normal shooting and self-portraits alike. The shape based on ergonomic was designed through prototype testing involving hundreds of photographers
- Automatic shooting modes
When taking a self-portrait, you can take photos by pressing the vertical command dial found directly below your index finger to minimize camera shake. The Self Timer function offers Smile Detection, that take photos automatically when the subject smiles, Buddy Timer which shoots when two people come close together, and Group Timer mode that automatically shoots when a specified number of people come into the frame.
- Intelligent focusing
Rotating the tilting LCD upward by 180 degrees activates the Eye Detection AF to automatically adjust the focus on the subject’s eyes.
- Beautiful skin reproduction
The X-A10 features a Portrait Enhancer mode, which makes the human skin look smoother and brighter. The beautiful skin tonality that only the X Series offers can be enjoyed also when shooting selfies
(3) Extended battery life of approx. 410 frames per charge
- The energy-efficient design has extended the battery life to a class-leading level, allowing you to concentrate on shooting pictures without worrying about remaining battery power.
- The camera also supports charging via USB for maximum convenience, especially while traveling.
(4) Class-leading minimum working distance and Super Intelligent Flash
- When fitted with the standard lens “XC16-50mmF3.5-5.6 OIS II,” the X-A10 can approach a subject up to the class-leading minimum working distance of approx. 7cm from the edge of the lens allowing you to explore the fantastic world of close-up macro photography.
- The built-in pop-up flash supports the Super Intelligent Flash system that accurately controls light output according to individual scenes. When shooting indoor portraits in low-light, small items or food, the flash system reduces highlight clipping to produce images exactly as your eyes see them. Natural colors and brightness are also achieved when shooting backlit scenes or photographing a person under intense sunlight that casts strong shadows on the face.
(5) Full HD video recording
- Press the dedicated Video Recording button on the rear to easily start recording full HD (1080/30p, 25p, 24p) video.
- The Film Simulation function, popularly used for still images, can also be applied to video recording for a diverse range of creative effects, which can be combined with smooth bokeh, made possible with the APS-C sensor and FUJINON lenses to produce professional-looking, creative movies.
- Turning on the electronic image stabilization function delivers the five-axis image stabilization that combines optical and electronic stabilization, significantly reducing a variety of camera shakes that could occur during video recording. This function allows you to record high quality video with reduced camera shake while walking around with the camera in your hand.
(6) Versatile shooting functions including the electronic shutter with the maximum speed of 1/32000 sec
- When using the ultra-fast electronic shutter, even under clear skies or other bright conditions, you can use large aperture to achieve a shallow depth of field without over-exposing the image. You can capture a scene exactly as intended without having to use an ND filter.
- As a result of answering the requests from many users, the X-A10 now features the Panorama and Time Lapse functions.
- Other new functions include the interlocking of Metering and AF areas, support for the Adobe RGB color space, and choice of different colors in Focus Peaking for assisting MF.
(7) Wireless communication functionality to enable remote shooting from smartphones and tablet devices*
- Install the free FUJIFILM Camera Remote app on your smartphone or tablet and use the Wireless Communication function to transfer photos and videos to your device with a simple one-touch operation. You can view and select photos and videos in your camera or on your smartphone and then easily import them to your device. You can even attach GPS location information, obtained by your smart device, to your images.
- The Remote Shoot function lets you adjust exposure and other settings, focus and take photos from your smartphone or tablet device. With Remote Shooting, the app not only offers basic operations such as Touch AF and shutter speed adjustment, but also lets you adjust a variety of shooting settings or initiate video recording. It’s great for group photos, self-portraits or even wildlife photography where you might want to compose your shot from a distance.
- Images can also be sent directly from the camera to the Instax SHARE smartphone printer for instant printing.
- The camera is Wi-Fi® enabled** to easily back up in-camera data to your computer***