Many modern flashes are designed around the hot shoe of your camera; and while that isn’t necessarily a problem, a new Kickstarter wants to change that. They’re called radioSTROBE, and it’s a radio flash system similar to the Profoto AIR system that is very much all about radio connectivity first.
Their first product is called the lynqR-1 and the flash has an internal battery pack and doesn’t use AA batteries. To trigger it, you use the lynqT-1 remote that sides into the hot shoe of your camera. It’s currently available for Canon and Nikon DSLRs and can allow for full manual, TTL, high speed sync and second curtain flash usage. Unfortunately, there is no word on Sony, Fujifilm or Olympus availability yet.
The downside: According to the Kickstarter the flash seems weaker than the closest Nikon and Canon competitors. Tech specs are after the jump along with the demo video.
Compatible With: Requires lynqT-1 to operate.
Assignable Groups: 4 (a, b, c, d). Select using switch.
Capabilities controlled from lynqT-1:
- Power Range: From Full power to 1/128 in 1/3 stop steps.
- High-Speed sync: Yes
- Sync-Speed range: 30 sec to 1/8000 sec
- 2nd Curtain sync: Yes
- Frames Per Second: 25+
- Autofocus Assist: Yes, automatic. Can be disabled.
Communication Method: Wireless Radio
Radio Frequency: 916 MHz (USA and Canada), 869 MHz (Europe)
Radio Range: 1000’ (Range is dependent on environmental conditions, both physical and electromagnetic)
Antenna: Tilt and swivel articulating type
Beam Spread: Adjustable from 24 to 105 mm
Color Temperature: Daylight balanced to 5600K
Model Button: Activates modeling light feature, approximately 1 second of illumination.
Sound Volume: Select High, Low, or Off using switch.
Power Source Options:
- 8 x AA’s (internal, not provided)
- A/C Wall Adapter (provided)
- External Battery 8-14VDC (not provided)
Auxiliary Power Jack:
- Use with the A/C Wall Adapter.
- Or use the provided cable and attach to any DC battery between 8 to 14 volts which can supply 1A of current or more.
Recycling Times at Full Power (approx):
- With 8x AA fresh NiMH batteries: 2 seconds
- With provided A/C Adapter: 2.5 seconds
- With Auxiliary battery between 12-14VDC: 1 second
- Red LED for pilot/ready (accompanied by Tone)
- Yellow LED for battery (accompanied by Melody)
- Blue LED for temperature (accompanied by Melody)
- Green LED for RF reception
- During recycling: A constant tone. (accompanied by Red LED when ready)
- Power Source Melodies: Batteries near empty, Batteries need replacing. (Accompanied by Yellow LED)
- Temperature Melodies: Flash Bulb Warm, Flash Bulb Hot, Batteries Warm, Batteries Hot. (Accompanied by Blue LED)
Mounting: Stainless Steel mounting block with a standard 1/4-20” thread.
Size: L8.4″ x W3″ x H2″ (L=8.8″ including antenna protrusion). (approx.)
Weight: 14 oz without batteries, 22 oz with batteries (approx.)
- Reverse battery insertion protection. Won’t operate if a battery is accidentally inserted backwards.
- Positive locking battery door and latch. Requires 2 hands to open and close.
- Recessed switches and controls to reduce accidental setting changes.
Estimated Retail Price: $650
All product design, features, specification, dimensions and prices are subject to change without notice in order to incorporate improvements.