Fujifilm is announcing brand new Macro extension tubes today. They are called the MCEX-11 and MCEX-16–and both have electronic contacts for auto exposure. Not much information is available, but we know that the Fujifilm X-Series Macro Tubes will cost $99.95 when they launch in December.
From the company’s press release, we can tell that the focusing range will be limited. In fact, Fujifilm cites needing to move the camera back and forth. In fact, the Fujifilm system has a Macro mode that lets every lens focus closer than normal. We assume that they will work with all of the company’s lenses as well as those offerings from Zeiss.
On top of the lenses, a new software will be coming that will let many of their camera shoot while tethered. It’s called HS-V5 and will let the user adjust the settings either via the camera or the PC if they wish. The software will also allow the user to manage the images–just like many other options available out there.
But today, they’re also announcing a new firmware update for the XE-2, XE-1, X Pro 1 and the X30 are all getting new firmware. Those details are after the jump.
Firmware v3.0 (X-T1 Graphite Silver, X-T1 Black) available for download on December 18
Fujifilm will release a free, comprehensive firmware update on December 18 specifically for the new FUJIFILM X-T1 Graphite Silver and the original X-T1 Black that will give users exciting new features and controls to dramatically enhance their X-T1 shooting experience, including:
- AF (Auto Focus) Area direct selection – Users can select the focus area with the 4-way controller, without pressing the Fn Button.
- Function replacement for the AE-L/AF-L buttons – The currently locked AE-L/AF-L button function will now be interchangeable, depending on the user’s preference.
- Focus Area size variability during MF (Manual Focus) – Users will be able to change the focus area in Manual mode during One Push AF with the AF-L button.
- Macro Mode direct selection – Users will be able to directly turn ON or OFF the Macro function in Auto Focus mode to expand the distance measurement range to the short-distance range. This will be possible without accessing the pop-up menu screen.
- Q Menu customization – The update will render the items and layout of the Q Menu, used for quick access of frequently-used items, changeable to the user’s preference.
- Video frame rate selection – In addition to the existing 60fps and 30fps selections, 50fps and 25fps, as well as a 24fps selection will become available to users. 50fps and 25fps allow video editing in the PAL region, such as Europe and elsewhere, without converting the frame rate. The 24fps will offer movie-like video capture and play back.
- Video manual shooting – Users will be able to select ISO sensitivity prior to shooting videos, as well as adjusting the aperture and shutter speed during video shooting.
- Phase Detection AF support for One Push AF – With One Push AF, operated by pressing the AF-L button during manual focusing, the update will enable Phase Detection AF with quicker focusing speeds.
- Metering area focus area interlocking – The update will enable users to interlock the AF area position with the metering area when spot metering is selected.
- Expansion of the Program Shift setting area – The update will enable the current Program Shift, in which the low-speed side is 1/4 second, to be shifted to a maximum of 4 seconds.
- Electronic Shutter – Adds electronic shutter function to original X-T1 Black bodies with a maximum shutter speed of 1/32000 second.
- New “Classic Chrome” Film Simulation – Film simulation that delivers muted tones and deep color reproduction.
- Support for INSTAX Share Printer – Photos can be sent directly to the INSTAX Share Printer for instant prints.
- Lock Function – Users can lock the camera to prevent unexpected dial and button operations.
- AF+MF Setting – Users can half press the shutter to autofocus, and then make fine adjustments using the manual focus ring.
- Three Custom White Balance options – Expands number of white balance users can store.
- Expanded EVF/LCD display types in Manual Exposure Mode – Users can now customize the way the image is displayed on the EVF or LCD.
- LCD Brightness and EVF/LCD Adjustment Control – Users can customize display brightness based on environment.
- Flash Compensation in Fn Button Setting – Users can now add Flash Compensation to any of the six custom function buttons.
Firmware v3.0 (FUJIFILM X-E2) available for download on December 18
The FUJIFILM X-E2 will receive a firmware update that adds:
- WLAN Remote Control in conjunction with the Camera Remote application.
- Interval Timer Shooting.
- New “Classic Chrome” Film Simulation.
- AF+MF control for all X-mount lenses.
Firmware v2.4 (FUJIFILM X-E1) and v3.4 (FUJIFILM X-Pro1) available for download on December 18
The FUJIFILM X-E1 and X-Pro1 will each receive a firmware update that adds:
- AF+MF control for all X-mount lenses.
Firmware v1.01 (FUJIFILM X30) available for download now
A firmware update is available now for the FUJIFILM X30 that improves:
- The autofocus lock function.