We reviewed both the Epson P600 and the Epson P800 a few years ago, and today they’re getting their successors. These printers were made with city photographers that have small studios in mind. They print big, but they’re 30% smaller than their predecessors. Both have a 4.3 inch touchscreen and are designed to work with the new Epson Professional app. Among the new features, there are a couple of things that really stand out to us. Most importantly, all the trays were revamped to address paper jamming problems that were occurring. But also something really cool is the changes to the inks; there’s now less ink tanks and Epson is claiming a 6% color gamut range.
Common Upgrades in the Epson P700 and Epson P900
- New 4.3 inch touchscreen interface
- Updates to roll feed media area and trays
- No built in cutter like their higher end printers
- Overall smaller design catering to those who live in big cities and don’t have a lot of room.
- Professional iPad and iPhone app
UltraChrome PRO10 10-Color Ink Technology
• Up to 6% wide color gamut than the SureColor P600 | P800 High performance, reliable MicroPiezo AMC print head
• Reliable print head meant to last the life of the Printer No Switching Black inks- Dedicated channels for Pk/Mk
• Save time and money when using both photo and matte media Carbon Black Overcoat Technology
• Industry leading black density on glossy media with the highest DMAX Industrial Hardware Design
- New dramatically smaller printer design- smallest 17” printer in its class
- Improved media feeding including standard sheet, fine art (rear), thick (straight-thru) up to1.5 mm, and roll media (optional on SC-P900)User Interface Design
• 4.3” touchscreen interface Professional iPhone / iPad App
• Print high quality color managed
The SureColor P700 ($799 MSRP) and SureColor P900 ($1,295 MSRP) will be available through Epson Authorized Resellers starting in May. The press release is below:
LONG BEACH, Calif. – April 21, 2020 – Epson, an industry leader in the photography market, today announced a breakthrough in professional printing technology with the introduction of the 13-inch SureColor® P700 and 17-inch SureColor P900 desktop photo printers. Replacing the award-winning SureColor P600 and SureColor P800, these new printers draw from over 20 years of experience to incorporate the same large format printing technology used by the world’s leading photographers into a sleek, compact design, allowing for the creation of exhibition quality prints from the convenience of the desktop.
“Fifteen years ago, Epson stunned the industry with the Stylus Pro 3800 that provided unprecedented creative control for photographers, allowing them to print up to 17-inches wide
without a darkroom,” said Reed Hecht, senior product manager, Professional Imaging, Epson America. “With the introduction of the SureColor P700 and SureColor P900, a new generation of photographers will experience another breakthrough in printing technology – truly redefining not only the photographic print but also the printing workflow.”
The new SureColor P700 and SureColor P900 are the smallest professional 13 and 17-inch printers in their class, with a 30 percent size reduction from Epson’s previous generation printers, and are designed for use in photography, graphic design, fine art, and illustration. The printers tout a new 10-channel MicroPiezo® AMCTM printhead to increase productivity, with dedicated channels for both Photo and Matte Black ink types – no ink switching necessary. Featuring new UltraChrome® PRO10 pigment ink* with Violet, the SureColor P700 and SureColor P900 deliver an extremely wide color gamut and support Advanced Black and White Mode to create unparalleled, professional black and white photographs.
According to Henry Wilhelm, director of research at Wilhelm Imaging Research, the world’s leading independent print permanence testing laboratory, Epson’s new printers and inks are currently undergoing comprehensive ten-factor testing with a range of papers and canvas, with both color prints and B&W prints made using Epson’s Advanced Black and White Mode. “Preliminary data for the Epson 10-color UltraChrome PRO10 pigment inks in the new SureColor P700 and SureColor P900 create stunning museum quality prints with WIR Display Permanence ratings that we believe will equal the ratings achieved by the current UltraChrome PRO12 inks of up to 200 years for color prints and up to 400 years for B&W prints.1 Prints framed with UV-absorbing acrylic – and those displayed under LED illumination – will achieve significantly higher ratings.”
For the first time, users can easily print directly from iOS® devices2 to the SureColor P700 and SureColor P900 in a color managed workflow. Using an updated mobile version of Epson Print Layout software, full support and color management tools are provided for iPhone and iPad printing. These printers also feature a new print driver mode – Carbon Black – which dramatically increases Dmax by up to 11 percent, for best-in-class black density and reduced
bronzing and gloss differential on glossy papers.
The SureColor P700 can accommodate both roll and cut sheet media, and the SureColor P900 accommodates cut sheet media and an optional fully enclosed roll media adapter supports both 2-inch and 3-inch rolls and roll printing up to 10 feet long. Additional features include a 4.3-inch customizable touchscreen, upgraded wireless connectivity including 5GHz and an interior LED light to watch the progress of a print.
More About the SureColor P700 and SureColor P900 Desktop Photo Printers
Designed to help photographers reproduce every detail of their creative vision, the new SureColor P700 and SureColor P900 incorporate a range of features to produce exhibition quality prints from the convenience of a desktop:
• Outstanding image quality and color — All-new UltraChrome PRO10 Ink with Violet produces a wide color gamut for vibrant and rich colors
- No Photo and Matte Black ink switching — Dedicated channels for both black ink types – no switching needed
- New 10-channel MicroPiezo AMC printhead — Consistently delivers prints with outstanding speed, consistency and accuracy; supports variable size droplet technology as small as 1.5-picoliters for remarkable output quality
- Easy printing from smart devices — Print color-managed files directly from an iOS device2 with an easy-to-use interface
- New Carbon Black Driver technology — All-new Carbon Black Driver mode dramatically increases Dmax for best-in-class black density on glossy papers
- Professional media handling — Accommodates rolls3 and sheet media up to 1.5 mm thick of Epson Professional, Signature Worthy® and Legacy papers as well as third-party media
- Easy to use — Features 4.3-inch customizable touchscreen, wireless connectivity and interior LED light
- Compact design — 30 percent smaller than the previous generation
- Industry-leading print permanence — UltraChrome PRO10 ink is expected to create
prints that last up to 200 years for color and 400 years for black-and-white1