Today’s announcement from Tamron is good news for Sony E-mount mirrorless photographers looking for user-friendly zoom lenses. The company said currently in the works is the 70-180mm f2.8 Di III VXD (Model A056), a new high-speed telephoto zoom lens for E-mount Full Frame mirrorless cameras. This new glass is slated to come out in Spring, 2020, but if you’re curious, a unit is up for viewing at the Photo Plus Expo beginning on October 24th in New York City, and Salon de la Photo in Paris next month.
This new Tamron offering sports a compact and lightweight design that promises to pair well with Sony Full Frame mirrorless cameras. It features an optical design with several specialized glass elements to ensure the best imaging performance, as well as improved overall versatility at the 33.5-inch MOD (Minimum Object Distance). The upcoming telephoto zoom lens also features Tamron’s new VXD (Voice-coil eXtreme-torque Drive) linear motor focus mechanism for a quick and quiet autofocus drive. It also has the same 67mm filter diameter as all the other Tamron lenses in this series.
Outdoor photographers are the primary target market of this upcoming lens, and Tamron also made sure it comes with Moisture-Resistant Construction and Fluorine Coating. Model A056 is also fully compatible with camera-specific features like Fast Hybrid AF and Eye AF. The upcoming model is Tamron’s third f2.8 zoom lens, set to join the 17-28mm f2.8 Di III RXD (Model A046) and the 28-75mm f2.8 Di III RXD (Model A036).
Tamron 70-180mm F2.8 Di III VXD (Model A056) Key Features
- Comfortably compact (149mm / 5.9in) and lightweight (815g / 28.7 oz).
- 67mm filter diameter, same as all other Tamron lenses for full-frame mirrorless cameras
- Superb optical performance and MOD of 33.5in for a broader range of photographic versatility
- Extremely quiet and newly developed VXD linear motor focus mechanism
- Moisture-Resistant Construction and Fluorine Coating contribute to a comfortable, user-friendly photographic experience.
- Compatible with various camera-specific features including Fast Hybrid AF and Eye AF
Visit the Tamron USA website for more information.