Fujifilm, as they so often do, hit us with a flurry of announcements today. In addition to the new X-E3, Fujifilm has announced two brand new lenses, one for their APS-C X-Series, and one for their Medium format GF series. Starting with the XF lens, the new 80mm F2.8 R LM OIS WR Macro is what Fujifilm is calling a lightweight mid-telephoto macro lens designed to allow X-Series photographers to get close to their macro subjects while still keeping some distance between them to allow for better lighting of the objects. The new lens features enhanced AF capabilities, and a floating focus system that Fuji says will suppress aberrations.
Additionally, the XF 80mm F2.8 R LM OIS WR will feature image stabilization (hence the OIS and WR designations) making this a versatile lens for more than just macro shooters. Fujifilm rates this lens as being able to work in temperatures as low as -10 degrees Celsius.
Fujifilm XF 80mm F2.8 Key Features:
- FUJIFILM X Mount is compatible with all FUJIFILM X Series interchangeable system cameras
- Weather-sealed at eleven points around the barrel for weather and dust resistance; operates as low as 14 degrees Fahrenheit / -10 degrees Celsius
- 16 lens elements in 12 groups including one aspherical ED lens, one Super ED lens and three ED lenses
- Uses Floating Focus System for improved AF
- Optical Image Stabilization system achieves 5-stop image stabilization
- Focus lens is driven by a linear motor for fast and near-silent autofocus performance
- Fluorine coating applied to front lens elements for improved durability
- Compatible with XF1.4x and XF2.0x teleconverters
This new 80mm lens will be available from Fujifilm starting in November of 2017 and will be retailing for $1199.95. Stay tuned and we will have pre-order links as soon as they are available.
GF 45mm F2.8 Key Features:
- FUJIFILM G Mount is compatible with the FUJIFILM GFX 50S
- Weather and dust resistant design capable of operating at temperatures as low as 14°F/-10°C
- 8 groups and 11 elements construction using one aspherical lens and two ED lenses
- 9 blade aperture creates smooth and circular bokeh
- Nano GI coating suppresses ghosting and flare
On the GF lens front, Fujifilm has announced their new GF 45mm F2.8R WR, a lens that they have developed as the sixth lens in the GF system, and it is aimed squarely at street/documentary style photographers.
The 45mm F2.8 R WR has an effective 35mm focal length of 36mm, making it perfect for those who are in love with shooting on a 35mm lens with their DSLR. So wedding, portrait, street, documentary, and journalists who may be shooting with the new Fujifilm GFX system now have a killer option for a wide variety of purposes.
In terms of pricing, the new 45mm F2.8 will also be available in November 2017 for an retail price in the neighborhood of $1699.95. Stay tuned for pre-order links once they are available.