Fujifilm is continuing to build up its family of weather-resistant lenses and now its announced a new XF 18-135mm f3.5-5.6. The new lens adds a 27-206mm equivalent focal length to Fujifilm’s burgeoning lineup of X-Series lenses. What’s more, the lens features some of the Japanese camera company’s best optical stabilization system technology yet.
The new XF 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 comes equipped with two “high-precision” gyro sensors that counter balance any shake or movement. With this new OIS system Fujifilm claims the new lens has 5.0-stops of image stabilization. The improved IS should hopefully keep things very steady especially at longer focal lengths when photographers need every bit of stabilization they can get.
The lens also features more than 20 sealing points for a dust-proof and weather-resistant design that should pair perfectly with the Fujifilm X-T1. As part of its design this piece of glass also has a new air vent located towards the bottom of the lens. Supposedly this “air ventilator” helps push air out of the lens as the barrel retracts. Of course, air also comes back when the user zooms in but Fujifilm tells us that the air vent is fitted with a filter to keep out dust and moisture.
Hopefully the new lens will prove to be as tack sharp as Fujifilm’s amazing good 18-55mm f2.8-4 kit lens; as well as the companies other two other zoom-lenses, the XF 10-24mm f4 and XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8.
The XF 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 lens will be available next month, in July for $899.95 and it can be attached to all of Fujifilm’s X-Series interchangeable lens cameras. Check past the break for more images and specs on the lens.
XF 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Lens
- Weather-resistant design with more than 20 sealing points
- 0.10 seconds autofocus speed and nearly silent operation
- Powerful optical image stabilization minimizes shake and blur in low light
- Two high-precision gyro sensors with quartz oscillators to detect movement from high frequency to low frequency
- Optical system uses 4 high-precision aspherical lenses and 2 anomalous dispersion glass lenses that maximize performance of the FUJFILM X-Trans sensor
- HT-EBC multi-layer coating to minimize ghosting
- Seven-blade aperture diaphragm that helps create smooth and round bokeh effects
- Advanced 5.0-stop image stabilization system that improves movement detection in the low-frequency band
- Minimum focusing distance of 45cm