The Impossible Project announced an Instant Lab a while back that allows the user to take a digital photo and impress it onto some instant film–then it gets printed out. The company took to Kickstarter to get the project going, and it’s now a reality. We had some hands on time with it back around Photokina. According to their press release,
“As with an instant camera, the image is exposed ‘naturally’. Simply select an image on your phone, place the iPhone in the cradle and slide open the shutter on the base. A signal tells you when the exposure is finished. Close the shutter, push the button and the Instant Lab ejects the instant film, ready to develop in the palm of your hand. The Instant Lab is the first device to convert digital images into real analog instant photographs.”
To compliment the hardware, the Impossible Project App for iOS is also being announced. Besides aiding with the digital to analog converstion with the Instant Lab, the app also helps with scanning, uploading and sharing those analog instant photos via social media.
It’ll set you back EUR 249 or US$ 299. Want to see how it works? Check out our video after the jump and also be sure to peep the tech specs.
• Cradle compatible with iPhone 4/4s, iPhone 5 and iPod Touch Generations 4 and 5
• Free iOS app for photo exposure (download from the App Store or impossibleapp.com)
• Optical System: 4 element coated glass lens, wide-angle
• Micro-processor-controlled film processing unit
• Rechargeable Li-Ion battery 7,4V / 2,33VAh(Wh)
• USB Power Adapter
• Compatible with IMPOSSIBLE Color and IMPOSSIBLE Black and White Film
• International Patent Pending
• Dimensions (metric): collapsed 148mm long × 111mm wide × 62mm tall; expanded
• Dimensions (imperial): collapsed 5.8″ long × 4.3″ wide × 2.4″ tall; expanded 6.9“ tall
• Weight (metric): 460g (including cover plate)
• Weight (US): 16oz (including cover plate)
Please Support The Phoblographer
We love to bring you guys the latest and greatest news and gear related stuff. However, we can’t keep doing that unless we have your continued support. If you would like to purchase any of the items mentioned, please do so by clicking our links first and then purchasing the items as we then get a small portion of the sale to help run the website.