Pentax has announced the introduction of a new super wide-angle lens for their 645 medium format system, with the particularly long official designation “smc Pentax D FA 645 25mm f/4 AL (IF) SDM AW”. On the 645D, Pentax’s digital medium format camera, the lens offers an angle-of-view corresponding to that of a 19.5mm lens on 35mm full-frame—that’s quite wide! Mounted to a film-based 645 body (to which it is compatible as well), it gets even wider: 15mm-equivalent. The lens that was originally scheduled for sale in summer 2011 comes with full weather sealing, dual aspherical lenses and a circular polarizer filter.
Besides Pentax’ proprietary Aero Bright and Super Protection lens coatings, the new DA645 25mm f/4 lens features a supersonic SDM autofocus motor, rounded aperture blades for pleasing bokeh and an internal filter holder with a thread size of 40.5mm. The lens’ full specs read as follows:
- Focal length: 25mm
- Angle-of-view (when mounted on the 645D camera): 95°
- 12 lens elements in 8 groups (two aspherical elements)
- Min. / max. aperture: f4 / f32
- Min. focusing distance: 1.31 ft (4o cm)
- Max. magnification: 0.11x
- Weight: 36.7 oz (1040 g)
- Size (diameter x length): 3.5 x 5.8 in (90 x 148.5 mm)
- Coatings: Aero Bright Coating for improved performance in backlight situations and SP (Super Protect) coating to repel dust, water and grease
- All Weather lens fully sealed against dust and water
The D FA 645 25mm f/4 lens is available for pre-order now, with shipping estimated for mid-May. The price? A mere US-$ 4.999,95! That’s quite a chunk of money, for quite a chunk of glass!
Please Support The Phoblographer
We love to bring you guys the latest and greatest news and gear related stuff. However, we can’t keep doing that unless we have your continued support. If you would like to purchase any of the items mentioned, please do so by clicking our links first and then purchasing the items as we then get a small portion of the sale to help run the website.