Instagram announced a new update to their app for iOS today; citing a newly improved camera interface and a new filter. Interestingly enough, it doesn’t look like this update is available yt for Android, as the Google Play store link shows that the latest update took place on October 9th. However, that is version 3.2, and Instagram says that version 3.3 is available; perhaps it may be coming soon. Maybe this update is a quick refresh to take on Twitter, who recently announced that new retro filters will be coming to their mobile app. Full list of changes are after the jump.
Update: Android got an update for sure. We have Willow, the new tilt-shift tech, and a new editing interface. That seems to be it.
- Instagram-themed shutter & shutter release button.
- A preview of the most recent photo on your camera roll.
- Improved Camera Roll image selector (iPhone 5 only) for quick access to your last photograph.
- Optional grid guide for live photos and a permanent grid guide for the scale & crop screen.
- Speed and reliability improvements.
- New Filter: Willow- Willow is a monochrome filter with subtle purple tones and a translucent glowing white border. This filter works well on portraits, still life and architecture photographs with contrast.
- Tilt-shift now gives a vastly more realistic rendering of depth of field because of these improvements and subtle tweaks to how we render the image.
- News Feed redesign that’s easier to digest, in addition to larger images.
- New welcome screen design.
- Infinite scroll on user profiles and other grid views.
- Filtered photos are now saved to a separate album called “Instagram” in the iOS camera roll.
- Foursquare button on location pages that opens the Foursquare application, or mobile website, with details about the venue.
Via The Official Instagram Blog.
Please Support The Phoblographer
We love to bring you guys the latest and greatest news and gear related stuff. However, we can’t keep doing that unless we have your continued support. If you would like to purchase any of the items mentioned, please do so by clicking our links first and then purchasing the items as we then get a small portion of the sale to help run the website.