Fans and long-time users of the Tamron SP Series lenses are in for a treat; the company just announced the newest member of the family right in time for the 40th anniversary of the series. The SP 35mm f1.4 Di USD (Model F405) for Full Frame DSLR cameras was reported as in-development in February, and will now be available for $899 first at Tamron USA dealers in Nikon F mount by June 26th, and then in Canon EF mount a month later).
For this commemorative lens, Tamron wanted to bring in high resolution, the fidelity of point light source, and beautiful bokeh. To achieve this, the SP 35mm f1.4 was made with some special glass materials, such as the four LD (Low Dispersion) and three GM (Glass Molded Aspherical) lens elements. The result of this combination, as the company promises, is ultra-high image quality and excellent optical performance with superior aberration correction, even at the maximum aperture of f1.4. They also applied their latest innovations such as the BBAR-G2 (Broad-Band Anti-Reflection Generation 2) Coating for anti-reflection performance.
The new SP series lens sports a reliable and fast AF drive, equipped with Tamron’s proprietary Ultrasonic Silent Drive. The technology allows for high-speed, high-precision, and quiet operation in a large aperture lens. Additionally, Tamron developed a Dynamic Rolling-cam mechanism especially for this lens, to minimize the drive load on the focus lens component. It’s also equipped with a Full-Time Manual Focus override system, allowing for fine adjustments to the focus point, even in AF mode.
Other important details from Tamron about this new release include the vastly improved Fluorine Coating for water and oil-repellent properties, moisture-resistant construction for outdoor shooting in challenging weather conditions, and compatibility with the optional TAMRON TAP-in Console accessory for updating the lens firmware and customizing features.
SP 35mm F1.4 Di USD SPECIFICATIONS
- Model: F045
- Focal Length: 35mm
- Maximum Aperture: f1.4
- Angle of View (diagonal): 63°26′ (for full-frame DSLR cameras)
- Optical Construction: : 14 elements in 10 groups
- Minimum Object Distance: : 0.3m (11.8 in)
- Maximum Magnification Ratio: 1:5
- Filter Size: Ø72mm
- Maximum Diameter: Ø80.9mm
- Length*: for Canon 4.1 in (104.8mm); for Nikon 4 in (102.3mm)
- Weight: for Canon 28.7 oz (815g); for Nikon 28.4 oz. (805g)
- Aperture Blades: 9 (circular diaphragm)**
- Minimum Aperture: f16
- Standard Accessories: Flower-shaped hood, Lens caps, Lens pouch
- Compatible Mounts: Canon EF mount, Nikon F mount
* Length is the distance from the front tip of the lens to the lens mount face.
** The circular diaphragm stays almost perfectly circular up to two stops down from maximum aperture.
Visit the Tamron website for more information about the new SP 35mm f1.4 lens.