The Pentax Q system is somewhat of an oddball among all mirrorless systems. While sticking to the traditional mirrorless dogma of featuring interchangeable lenses paired with a live-view LCD screen, where the Q-system goes slightly gonzo is when it comes to sensor size. While most conventional mirrorless systems feature imaging sensors that are particularly larger than those of point-and-shoots, the Q system comes with a tiny 1/2.3″ sensor as can be found in your average compact camera. And although the original Pentax Q was no hotseller outside of Japan, Pentax seem to be committed to the system and now expanded it with the introduction of the new Q10 camera body, the 06 Telephoto Zoom Lens and a K-mount adapter.
Pentax Q10 Specs
- 12.4 megapixel 1/2.3″ back-illuminated CMOS sensor
- 12-bit DNG raw output
- ISO 100-6400 in 1/3 stop steps
- Mechanical shutter speeds from 1/2000 to 30 seconds, electronic shutter as fast as 1/8000 sec.
- Full-HD 1080/30p video recording with H.264 compression
- 3″ 460k dot LCD screen
- Sensor-shift image stabilising system with dust reduction
- Built-in popup flash
- Built-in micro HDMI port
- P, Av, Tv and M shooting modes
- 5fps contiuous shooting mode
- “upgraded” autofocus algorithm
- Comes in red and silver
In addition to the new Q10 body, Pentax also announces a new “06” telephoto zoom lens as well as an adapter to mount your K-mount lenses to a Q body. The clue with the new K-mount adapter is that it has its own mechanical shutter built-in. This helps to prevent the so-called “rolling shutter” effect that can distort moving objects in a picture. Additionally, the new K-mount adapter features an aperture control ring. It does not provide autofocus with K-mount lenses, however.
Pentax Q 06 Telephoto Zoom Lens Specs
- Focal length 15-45mm (= 83-249mm equivalent to 35mm full-frame)
- Constant f2.8 initial aperture
- 14 lens elements in 10 groups
- Two ED elements and one super-low dispersion element
- “Super Protect” coating
- Min. focusing distance: 1m (3.3′)
Pentax K->Q Mount Adapter
- Full compatibility with all K-mount lenses
- Built-in mechanical shutter (central shutter w/ 5 blades) with speeds from 1/1000 sec. to 30 sec.
- Manual aperture control possible
Pricing and Availability
The new Pentax Q10 will be available at retail outlets nationwide and online in October 2012. It will be offered in a Red or Silver kit including the 02 zoom lens (5-15mm f2.8-4.5) at a suggested retail price of $599.95. The 06 Telephoto Zoom lens will be available at retail outlets and online in October 2012 with a suggested retail price of $299.95. Finally, Adapter Q for K-mount lenses will be available in 2012 with a suggested retail price of $249.95.
Please Support The Phoblographer
We love to bring you guys the latest and greatest news and gear related stuff. However, we can’t keep doing that unless we have your continued support. If you would like to purchase any of the items mentioned, please do so by clicking our links first and then purchasing the items as we then get a small portion of the sale to help run the website.