On Monday, February 20th, 2012, LPA Design announced the latest iteration of their highly regarded wireless remote transceiver, the PocketWizard Plus III. Succeeding the PocketWizard Plus II, the Plus III comes packed with a bunch of new features and improvements that will make a photographer’s life easier, such as a broad range of operating modes, an improved backlit LCD screen as well as screw-locking PC cords. Plus, it is about 30 % cheaper than the previous model. How’s that for an upgrade!? Read more after the jump.
How could it get any better?
For years, the PocketWizard transceivers have been the choice in wireless flash and camera triggers with professionals and serious amateurs alike. Since the PocketWizard Plus II was so popular and succesful, many doubted that it could be improved at all. But here comes the PW Plus III, and it brings a whole lot of new features and improvements that will make it worthwile upgrading.
PocketWizard Plus III features
- TxRx — transmits and receives. The standard mode for use with an off-camera flash.
- Tx ONLY — only transmits. Recommended to use when there are other wireless transceivers around, so yours does not get triggered accidentally.
- Rx ONLY — only receives. Recommended to use with a remote camera when there are other wireless transceivers around, so you do not accidentally trigger other PocketWizards.
- LR — long range transmission. Doubles the maximum transmission range.
- RP — repeater mode. Will forward the signal to another PocketWizard, thus enables transmitting over an even longer distance.
- HSR — high-speed reception. Allows for high-frequency shooting up to 14.5 FPS.
- Three-stage battery meter
- Internal antenna (contained inside the PW Plus III’s body)
- Backlit LCD screen for work in low-light surroundings
- Selective quad-zone triggering (for multiple wireless setups)
- USB port for upgrading firmware and changing custom settings
- Nikon screw-lock PC cords (work for Canon as well)
The PocketWizard Plus III works with virtually every popular flash and DSLR camera system and is compatible with all other PocketWizard radios. It also communicates with PocketWizard-enabled gear such as Profoto, Dynalite, Norman and Photogenic flash systems and Sekonic light meters.
The PocketWizard Plus III is expected to be available mid-March 2012 for an MSRP of US-$ 139. It is available for pre-order at B&H Photo.
Please Support The Phoblographer
We love to bring you guys the latest and greatest news and gear related stuff. However, we can’t keep doing that unless we have your continued support. If you would like to purchase any of the items mentioned, please do so by clicking our links first and then purchasing the items as we then get a small portion of the sale to help run the website.