Last Updated on 06/29/2015 by Chris Gampat
A while back, Fujifilm announced that they’d be updating the X-T1 with a brand new firmware update that significantly boosts the autofocus performance. The Fujifilm X-T1 doesn’t have terrible focusing performance to begin with, but now they’re stating that it’s much better than it was before. The new firmware 4.00 includes new wide and tracking methods as well as performance boosts to single AF point focusing.
For portrait photographers, the camera will now have an Eye Detection focusing option too.
The full details are after the jump, and you can download the firmware right here.
- 1.New AF System
- (1)Zone and Wide/Tracking modes for effortless capture of moving subjects The AF System complements the fast and accurate 49-single-point autofocus system with new Zone and Wide/Tracking modes, which use 77 autofocus points across a wider area to substantially improve the camera’s ability to capture moving subjects.
- (2)Improvement of AF accuracy Single-point AF divides the focus area into smaller sections to more accurately determine the distance to the subject for even greater focusing accuracy. The built-in phase detection pixels have the detection range of 0.5EV, an improvement from the previous 2.5EV, delivering phase detection AF performance that enables fast focusing in low-light conditions and on low- contrast subjects.
- (3)Eye detection AF The firmware update provides Fujifilm’s Eye Detection AF, which automatically detects and focuses on human eyes.The function allows you to easily focus on the eyes even in difficult conditions.
- (4)Auto Macro mode The firmware update introduces the Auto Macro function, which automatically switches the camera into the Macro mode while maintaining the conventional AF speed. You no longer have to press the Macro button to initiate a close-up shot. This update eliminates the Macro function assigned to the Macro Button, allowing you to assign a different function to the button. (Just after this update, the function will be assigned to AF mode selection.)
- (5)AF improvement in the Movie mode The optimized algorithm delivers a more natural and smooth AF action during movie recording.
- (1)Improved Shutter Speed Dial operation When the Shutter Speed Dial is set to T and the Shutter Type to Mechanical + Electronic, you can use the command dial to set a full range of exposure times from 30-1/32000sec. Previously, this was limited to 30-2 seconds. This is particularly useful when shooting in the portrait orientation with the Vertical Battery Grip VG-XT1 attached.
- (2)Exposure Compensation control in Manual You can use the Exposure Compensation dial to make exposure adjustments while shooting in the Manual exposure mode with the ISO Auto setting.
- (3)Finer lines on the framing grid enhances visibility The lines on the framing grid, which you can choose to display in the Screen Set-Up menu, have been made finer making it easier to view the subject.
- (4)Name of Silent mode changed to avoid confusion The Silent Mode has been renamed to “SOUND & FLASH OFF” .
- (1)If you use the “Tethered Shooting SoftwareHS-V5 for Windows®Ver1.1”, itis requiredto be updated.