Today, Canon is announcing their brand new 80D–and they’re trying to target it at the new breed of photographers who typically shoot on the side for extra cash. It isn’t quite the 7D MK II–which is mostly targeted at sports and wildlife photographers. But it’s still quite feature packed.
The Canon 80D features 45 cross-type AF points, 100% viewfinder coverage, a 24.2MP APS-C CMOS sensor with Dual Pixel CMOS AF, a DIGIC 6 image processor, built-in WiFi, NFC, and a vari-angle 3 inch LCD screen. There is also a new auto white balance mode that the user will have to specifically set that will allow the setting to skew closer to the warmer side or the cooler side depending on what you select.
But there’s a whole lot more!
- New 45-point all cross-type AF system
- Intelligent Viewfinder with approximately 100% viewfinder coverage
- Newly Developed 24.2 Megapixel (APS-C) CMOS sensor
- ISO 100-16,000
- Seven fps shooting capabilities
- DIGIC 6 image processor for enhanced image quality
- Improved Dual Pixel CMOS AF for smooth, fast and accurate autofocus with video and stills
- Built-in Wi-Fi and NFC capability for easy transfer of images and movies to compatible mobile devices
- 1080/60p Full HD video to capture brilliant results in MP4 format for easy movie sharing on select social networking sites
- Vari-angle Touch Screen 3.0-inch Clear View LCD II monitor enables flexible positioning and clear viewing even outdoors
Canon EF-S18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens and Power Zoom Adapter
In addition to the new Canon EOS 80D DSLR camera, Canon U.S.A., Inc., is also introducing the Canon EF-S18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens, a newly designed lens with a premium exterior design that will serve as the kit lens for the new Canon EOS 80D camera. This the first Canon lens equipped with Nano USM, a new type of focusing motor that combines the benefits of a ring USM (ultrasonic motor) for high-speed AF during still photo shooting and lead-screw type STM (stepping motor) for smooth and quiet movie AF, and improved AF speeds up to 4.3x (Tele) and 2.5x (Wide) faster than the previous model. The Canon EF-S18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens also provides up to four stops of optical image stabilization. A new lens hood, the EW-73D, is included with the new lens.
To further enhance the ease-of-use when shootings movies with a Canon DLSR or Cinema EOS cameras, Canon is introducing the Power Zoom Adapter PZ-E1, specifically constructed to be compatible with the design of the new Canon EF-S18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens. The Canon Power Zoom Adapter PZ-E1 is the world’s first detachable zoom adapter that provides silent and smooth zoom and can adjusted incrementally to 10 different levels of zoom speed3. Additionally, the PZ-E1 can be controlled remotely using the Canon Camera Connect app.
In addition to the new lens and power zoom adapter, Canon is introducing the first Canon-branded external microphone for the EOS system, the Canon Directional Stereo Microphone DM-E1. This new accessory microphone will help improve sound quality while shooting video, allowing users to rotate the direction of the microphone up and down from 90 to 120 degrees depending on the shooting situation. The DM-E1’s durable shock mount construction helps to reduce camera operation noise and lens drive sounds and is built to withstand the rigors of a variety of shooting situations. Featuring a frequency response range of 50Hz to 16kHz, the DM-E1 comes with a wind screen to help limit peripheral sound from wind and other outside factors, allowing shooters to utilize the microphone in a broad amount of shooting situations. Featuring a built-in power supply from a single “button-type” lithium cell battery, the DM-E1 also has a power indicator lamp allowing users to easily check its battery level.
The Canon EOS 80D Digital SLR camera and EF-S18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens are currently scheduled to be available in March 2016 for an estimated retail price of $1,199.00 for the body only, $1,799.00 with the new EF-S18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens and $599.99 respectively.
The Canon Power Zoom Adapter PZ-E1 and Directional Stereo Microphone DM-E1 are currently scheduled to be available in June 2016, for estimated retail prices of $149.99 and $249.99 respectively.
Canon Powershot G7x Mk II
- Bright f/1.8 (W) – f/2.8 (T), 4.2x (24–100mm equivalent) optical zoom lens with Canon’s Intelligent Image Stabilizer (IS) and a 9-blade iris diaphragm;
- Multi-angle 3.0-inch capacitive touch panel LCD with a screen resolution of 1.04 million dots and tilt options of 180° up and 45° down;
- Ability to capture 1080p Full HD video in MP4 format with stereo sound;
- 8 fps shooting capabilities
- Built-in Wi-Fi and Near Field Communications (NFC) capability with a dedicated Wi-Fi button for easy sharing and transferring of images and videos;
- Picture Style function that offers superb command of in-camera color, contrast, and sharpness;
- In-camera RAW conversion, making it possible to preview customized image processing modifications on the camera, without the use of a computer;
- Convenient control ring lever that enables users to quickly switch between stepped and continuous ring movement;
- Time-Lapse Movie feature to help capture images at preset intervals and combine them to create a short movie clip;
- Panning feature that allows the camera to lock onto the main subject using Canon’s Intelligent IS technology to automatically adjust the shutter speed for beautiful background blur.
The Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark II digital camera is currently scheduled to be available in May 2016 for an estimated retail price of $699.99.
Canon PowerShot SX720 HS
- A dedicated Wi-Fi® button for easy sharing and transferring of images and videos utilizing the camera’s built-in WiFi and NFC technology;
- 3 Megapixel* CMOS sensor with Canon’s DIGIC 6 Image Processor to help deliver outstanding image quality, even in low light;
- 1080p/60 Full HD video capture with stereo sound;
- 0-inch LCD (approx. 922,000 dots) to allow for easy viewing, even from a wide angle;
- Zoom Framing Assist that allows the lens to automatically zoom in or out while the camera follows subject movement and helps keep it in focus;
- Story Highlight feature that enables the camera to automatically compile images and videos3 from a certain day or event into a mini-highlight reel with music and effects;
- Creative Shot mode that uses composition, color and lighting from an original image to create artistic images.
Canon’s PowerShot SX720 HS digital camera is currently scheduled to be available in March 2016 for an estimated retail price of $379.99.