We’ve filled in two new positions but we’re looking for three new faces to bring on. Exciting, huh? With the site growing at an astounding rate (especially within the past couple of days) we need to bring on three new people to help us out.
- One news writer
- One reviewer
- One educational/feature writer
News Writer: You find news stories that would be of interest to our audience, but we also pass some along to you. Right now, Felix and I handle the news and you’ll complete the tri-force. Requires you to post often throughout the week. You’ll also need tech savvy to put your own twist on the stories. We aren’t just cutting and pasting press releases here.
Reviewer: You’ll be assigned items to review. You’d better bet you’ll need to be tech savvy for this position. It will require at least two posts a week from you (longer ones than what a news writer does.)
Educational/Feature Writer: These stories are those that our audience will find interesting. We’ve been tweeting a lot of them recently. Some of them are our useful photography tips and others are our actual features on the site. You’ll need to write one longer piece and two shorter pieces a week.
- You ideally be located in the United States, however, I can make exceptions though they are extremely rare.
The ideal candidates will:
- Have great photography knowledge and be able to write well. While all articles go through my eyes and the Copy Editor’s, it makes it a lot easier on us to have polished writing and know what you’re talking about.
- Be able to contribute 2 at least two times a week
- Be able to review gear, write features, and write posting that teach new things to our readers.
- Be super friendly: which is something that we’ve prided ourselves on here since Day 1.
- Know how to use WordPress.org.
- Meet deadlines well
- Communicate with myself and the rest of the staff quickly
- Be well versed in social media like Twitter, Facebook and Flickr
- Being able to answer, “Who, what, when, where, how, and why?” in every single paragraph written in the story.
BUT FIRST: YOU’RE GOING TO GO THROUGH A TRIAL OF ONE POST A WEEK!
Now here are the pluses that give you an edge:
- If you’re a current B&H and/or Amazon affiliate, we will allow you to use your links in your posting here on The Phoblographer. In fact, we let anyone use any affiliate link program. This is how you get paid in addition to gear hookups.
- If you’re located in NYC (or around it) you’ll be able to accompany me to meetings with vendors and you’ll get to bond closer with some of the staff members. Most of the staff isn’t in NYC though.
- If you’re familiar with The Phoblographer’s style of doing things (have been a long time reader and can figure out what makes us different than other places like DPReview) then you’ll have an even larger edge because you’ll meld in very easily.
- Familiarity with Photo editing products is required, video editing is a plus
If you think you’ve got what it takes: shoot me an email at chrisgampat[at]thephoblographer[dot]com with a resume, a cover letter, and a portfolio link, and then we’ll take it from there. In the subject line, please put: Application for The Phoblographer (Your name here: position applying for)